Unit 109 will hold its annual meeting at The Place at Innsbrook (4036 Cox Road # C, Glen Allen, VA 23060) on Wednesday, May 14. A buffet will be served from 5:45 to 6:30. The cost is $15 per person. Checks should be made payable to the RBA and mailed to Becky Duty at 8904 Norwick Circle, Henrico, VA 23229 or placed in the envelope attached to the RBA bulletin board at the Bridge Center by May 4, 2014.
We will be electing a new board during the business meeting that follows the dinner. The nominating committee has submitted the following slate for Officers and Directors for the term of 2014-2016:
President Harry Gellis
V. President Barry Fratkin
Secretary Becky Duty
Treasurer Paul Anderson
Board of Directors (4 elected and 4 appointed by the new President)
Ordinarily, the election is a formality at the annual meeting and the board is approved by acclamation. However, George Lewis has also been nominated to the position of President by the membership and is willing to serve. The pertinent portion of the bylaws is:
“If elections of Officers and Directors are contested:
- Each qualified member present at the annual meeting shall be entitled to one vote for each Officer and elected Director. (no more than eight check marks per ballot)
- All ballots, prepared in advance with all names printed, will be filled out in secret and collected.
- Each candidate is entitled to have a representative at the counting of the votes.
- The individuals receiving the most votes will be elected.
- Every member in good standing may vote at the annual membership meeting/election, or may vote by absentee ballot, providing that the requirements for voting by absentee ballot, as outlined by the Board of Directors, have been met.
The Board of Directors has established the following requirements for voting by absentee ballot:
- Absentee voting will not be anonymous.
- The RBA will mail an invitation to the May Dinner to each member separately by April 10. The mailing will include a ballot with the name and ACBL number of the member. Members who will not be attending the meeting may choose to mail the ballot to Becky Duty (at 8904 Norwick Circle, Henrico, VA 23229) postmarked no later than May 4.
- Members will also be able to vote online. Online votes, which will include fields for member names and ACBL number, will be emailed to Becky Duty no later than May 4.
- Becky will bring these ballots to the May meeting.
- Jim Creech or his designee will be given a list of the names of the people who have already voted. If anyone on that list is present at the meeting, he will inform Becky and the absentee ballot will be discarded. The member will vote at the meeting instead.
- 6. All ballots will be counted that evening. Each candidate is entitled to have a representative at the counting of the votes.
I hope to see you all at the meeting.